Many people in the softball community realize just how beneficial core training can be. If you’ve never really considered it as part of your plan to increase your softball performance, you need to take a look at this list of 7 Great Reasons to Train Your Core…
- The core is comprised of nearly 30 different muscles that basically wrap around your body in the area between your hips and rib cage. This area connects your upper and lower body so it can function as one (which means more power and quickness). …crunches are just not going to do the job.
- Hitting and Pitching power comes from the core….The core is fundamental to all body movement. You hardly make a movement without engaging your core whether it’s walking up the stairs or bending down to pick something up.
- Hitting Posture? Pitching Posture?…A strong core provides balance and stability: a necessity in athletic movement.
- Your core is the basis for all athletic movement. When you hit, throw, twist, swing or run you are relying on core strength to transfer power.
- A strong core reduces your chances of low back injury which is quite common, especially in softball players and pitchers.
- Your core includes both abdominal muscles and lower back muscles..front side core muscles don’t do the job. Again, crunches won’t cut it!
- If your core is weak, your movements will be weak meaning you will have no power or velocity and you won’t reach your full athletic potential
Adding core work to your training is one of the best things you can do to improve your athleticism, your quickness, your strength, your power, and your performance.