Of course BBQ sauce with loads of sugar tastes great, but for those of us that don’t want to consume that much sugar, we need a healthier alternative that doesn’t lack in taste. You can put it in the slow cooker with chicken, put it on top of cheeseburgers, or use it as a dip! It is also a good way to liven up vegetables if someone in your family doesn’t really like them.
Ingredients – 8 servings:
– 1 large onion, very finely diced
– 500ml/2 cups tomato sauce
– 4 tbsp tomato puree/tomato paste
– 2 gloves of garlic, crushed
– 1 tbsp paprika
– 4 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
– 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
– A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
– 1 tsp red chilli flakes (optional if you want a little spice)
1) Add a little oil to a pan and add the onion and cook on low for 5 minutes until softened.
2) Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and simmer for 3 minutes
3) You can either use it like it is if you like a chunkier BBQ sauce, or you can blend it for a smoother sauce.
Nutritional Information – Per person: